Job Description: ASSOCIATE ATTORNEY
Kavanagh Rhomberg LLP is seeking a full-time associate attorney to join our growing practice representing nonprofit and tax-exempt organizations.
Kavanagh Rhomberg LLP is a woman-owned law firm representing nonprofit and tax-exempt organizations and their charitable donors, with a focus on the tax and governance issues unique to the nonprofit sector. Our clients range from small, all-volunteer organizations to large and well-established charities and foundations; our work includes nonprofit formations, corporate governance, tax-exempt status, endowments, and charitable giving. The work is transactional and regulatory (not litigation) in the areas of corporate, trust, and tax law. Our clients and their missions inspire us – we are proud to support the work they do.
We, the two partners, both came from the nonprofit sector prior to going to law school. We live in the San Francisco Bay area, have families, and appreciate the flexibility of working from home. We founded the firm in 2016 and were working from home long before the entire world started doing it in 2020!
• Integrity, excellence, and consistency are primary – our clients deserve our best work.
• We value our relationships – with clients, staff, and others who interact with our firm. Collegiality, fairness, and respect for everyone is important.
• We are responsible and hard-working, and we expect the same from employees. When something needs doing, we roll up our sleeves and do it. We take responsibility for our work, celebrate our successes, and learn from our mistakes.
ABOUT THE ROLE
You will be our firm’s first associate attorney. Initially, your position will focus on forming new nonprofit organizations– this includes drafting corporate documents, preparing exemption applications and charitable registrations, researching and advising clients about requirements for tax-exempt status, and coaching clients through the multi-step process. This is a critical part of our business and involves both substantial client contact and responsibility.
You will also assist us, the partners, with nonprofit dissolutions, other nonprofit and tax-exempt organization matters, and with research and writing on all aspects of nonprofit governance and tax-exempt organization law.
In addition to your billable hours, we have factored in time for you to spend on non-billable functions that are important to us and to your own career development, such as professional education, writing articles, and a limited amount of pro bono work. This job is meant to be sustainable, and a career opportunity for an attorney committed to this practice area.
In addition to sharing our values, you must have the following qualifications:
• J.D. degree and member of the State Bar of California
• At least one year of job experience as an attorney, preferably at a law firm
• Knowledge of federal tax and/or corporate law preferred
• Excellent communication skills
• Skilled at legal research, writing, drafting, and analysis
• Self-starter with ability to manage your own workload with little supervision and a high degree of professionalism
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Commitment to the nonprofit sector
• Ethical, responsible, trustworthy, and kind
The position is full-time and remote (work from home). We prefer an attorney based in California.
• We will provide a laptop and the tech you need for work.
• You will need a quiet and private place to work with a good internet connection.
While work location is flexible, our Associate Attorney must work a regular schedule of 40 hours per week that is mostly during standard business hours Pacific time. We plan to conduct the hiring process remotely, but eventually we will want to meet you in person. Travel to the San Francisco Bay area may be required once or twice a year for team meetings.
• Competitive salary depending on experience
• Health, vision, and dental insurance
• Payment of bar dues and MCLE costs
• 401(k) is available after one year
Please send a resume and a cover letter that tells us why you want this job and why it would be a good fit for you to hiring@KRnonprofit.law. Kavanagh Rhomberg, LLP is an equal opportunity employer.